Sunday, April 15, 2012

Contrast


What is the importance of darkness?
None, you might say. (Or you may quote some cheesy tagline from some cheap biblical flick)

I beg to differ.

I believe that darkness is just as important as light. This is because the darkness is the ultimate opposing force to light. Darkness is what causes the need for illumination of objects, and that's the part where light does its job. If there were no darkness, then there would be no need to illuminate objects, there would be no need for a special kind of force to oppose and balance out darkness, and, in effect, there would be no light. So, in a way, light exists solely due to the presence of darkness.

The applicability if this principle is not just limited to the aforementioned topic.
It can be used to describe the relationship between most antagonistically related objects.

A very shallow example being, good movies. How can one distinguish  between movies and pick out a good movie if none of them are bad? Does not the word 'good' denote something that is not 'bad'? Hence, if any one of the two types of movies were to go out of existence, the other would follow suit, as it will not be able to be defined any more. Think about it, if there were no bad movies, then every movie would simply be called a 'movie' instead of a 'good movie'.

The same thing can be applied to describe the hardships in one's life. We all have ups and downs in our life, right? How would we signify the 'ups' if we had no 'downs'?

The negatives, thus, clarify the significance of the positives.
Contrast, who would have guessed it was so important?

These findings, small as they may be, made me think about a lot of things in a different way. It actually made me a little more optimistic about certain things. (That's very unusual for me)

Also, these findings are not entirely to my credit. My mother told me something similar years ago. (Yup, that's right, from my mum)

And as usual, this post must be taken in from a strictly non-scientific and philosophical way.  I'm way too lazy to look up and relate the scientific crap.

Obviously these so called  'findings' aren't anything great, but I believe they are something to ponder upon.

Signing out,
The Observer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Request

Please comment on the posts if you like them or share them with your friends if you agree with me. And if you want to read more of my posts when they come out, just follow me or subscribe.